NAGDU Convention Sponsorship
The National Association of Guide Dog Users Convention Sponsorship provides funding support to assist guide dog users who want to attend the NFB national convention in person. This year, NAGDU is sponsoring two guide dog users with five hundred dollars each to assist with the costs of attending the NFB national convention.
The sponsorships are open to new or existing NAGDU members who are guide dog users that would benefit from monetary assistance to attend an in-person NFB National Convention. This year, the committee will consider applications from all member applicants, whether they have attended an in-person national convention or not. The committee will then award one sponsorship to a guide-dog user who has never attended an in-person national convention, and one sponsorship to a guide-dog user who will not be a first-time attendee of an in-person national convention this year.
Requirements of Applying:
- Applicants must be a guide dog user
- Applicants must register for national convention by May 31, 2022
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old by the time of the convention
- Applicants must provide the name of an affiliate President or guide dog user division President for a reference
- Applicants must attend both the NAGDU seminar and business meeting at convention
- Applicants must submit an article by August 1 to be considered for the Braille Monitor which tells about the person’s convention experience
- Applicants must not already be chosen to receive a Kenneth Jernigan scholarship fund. *Note: Qualified applicants should apply for both. The committees will coordinate to ensure NAGDU sponsorship recipients do not also receive Kenneth Jernigan scholarship funds.
How to Apply:
Starting April 4, 2022, apply online using the NAGDU Convention Sponsorship online application form. The deadline to submit is May 31, 2022.
The application will ask for the following information:
- Contact Information — Include your full name, your primary phone (preferably the mobile number you might use at convention), and your email address. If you don’t have an email address, please consider asking a friend or chapter member to assist you with email correspondence.
- State Affiliate/Chapter/Guide Dog User Division Information — Include your state affiliate, and the name of a chapter or guide dog user division president (if you are a member).
- Essay Questions — How do you currently participate in the Federation? How long have you been a guide dog user and how many guide dogs have you had? How long have you and your current guide dog been a team? Why do you want to attend a national convention? What do you hope to gain from attending? Provide any special circumstances you hope the committee will take into consideration.
Notification of Award:
If you are chosen to receive a NAGDU Convention Sponsorship, you will receive an email with details that should answer most of your questions. The committee will make every effort to notify winners by June 17, 2022. Meanwhile, you must do several things to be prepared to attend if you are chosen.
- Make your own hotel reservation. If something prevents you from attending, you can cancel the reservation. (Yes, you may arrange for roommates of your own to reduce the cost.)
- Register online for the entire convention by May 31, 2022. While attending the banquet is not required, it is encouraged.
- Find a NAGDU member, or someone in your local chapter or affiliate who has attended conventions in the past and can answer your questions as a friend and mentor.
If you do not hear from the committee by June 17, then you did not win a sponsorship this year.
Receiving the Award:
If you are chosen for the NAGDU Convention Sponsorship, you will be given a pre-paid debit or credit card loaded with five hundred dollars. This card can only be given in person. The time and location to pick up your card will be determined after you arrive. Please note, NAGDU will not be able to provide funds before the convention, so it will be your responsibility to pay your way there.
General Convention Costs:
The three biggest ticket items you need to cover when attending an NFB National Convention are the round-trip transportation, the hotel room for a week, and the food (which tends to be higher priced than at home).
We recommend that you find a NAGDU or NFB member as your personal convention mentor, someone who has been to many national conventions and is able to share money-saving tips with you and tips on navigating the extensive agenda in the big hotel. Your mentor will help you get the most out of the amazing experience that is convention week.
For additional information, please contact the chairman of the NAGDU Convention Sponsorship Fund Committee, Al Elia, at email@example.com.
Please complete the NAGDU Convention Sponsorship online application form to apply. The deadline to submit this application is May 31, 2022.